Key Bicycle Law Changes Under House Bill 959 are now in effect.
Drivers must follow these rules to lawfully pass a bicycle or moped in a no passing area:
- You can only pass a bicycle or moped,
- The bicycle or moped must be headed in the same direction as the vehicle,
- The driver must provide at least four feet between themselves and the bicycle/moped or fully enter the left lane,
- Don’t pass when the bicycle or moped is signaling a left turn.
At night, bicycle riders must have:
- A lighted lamp on the bicycle’s front visible from at least 300 feet,
- A red light on the back of the bicycle,
- Or wear reflective clothing/vest visible from 300 feet.
For the complete law visit watchformenc.org.
For more information about NCDOT Now, contact the NCDOT Communications Office at (919) 707-2660. Additional news stories from throughout the week can be found on NCDOT.gov.